Today, the majority of WASH actors are focused on the development and testing of sanitation solutions for emergencies that can improve the disposal of faecal sludge in a quicker and safer way. In addition, they are looking for concepts and products able to reduce the rate at which latrines fill-up with faecal sludge.
This report puts forward a few areas for further exploration and development:
- Easy to implement, portable toilet systems
- Standardised guidelines for assessing existing sanitation equipment
- New protocols for the treatment and control of faecal sludge accumulation
- Evaluation of speedy aerobic and anaerobic treatment concepts
- Guidelines for assessing and improving dumping sites
It is based on researches from several organisations: François Bellet (UNICEF HUB Dakar Senegal), Chris Cormency (UNICEF Copenhagen), Caetano Dorea (University of Laval), Jean-François Fesselet (MSF-H), Grover Hector Mamani (WASTE), Claudia Perlongo (UNHCR), and Jan Spit (WASTE).